The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title Supply Chain Officer (CBT Procurement and Logistics) NOB
Requisition: # 130208
Job Type: Fixed Term
- Supervision: The position reports to the Deputy Head of Supply Chain in the WFP Nigeria Office.
- Job holders at this grade level make definite contributions within the established policies and procedures. Job holders apply considerable knowledge derived from educational training and practical experience and exercise independent analysis for further reviews and decisions.
- At this grade level, staff receive supervision but are able to work under broader instructions developing analytical tools and achieve outputs for effective supply chain execution. Job holders may also act as team leaders in smaller supply chain operations working closely and in coordination with the relevant stakeholders.
Background and Purpose of the Assignment
- WFP Supply Chain Cash Based Transfer (CBT) supports the response of about 300,000 beneficiaries in the northeast of Nigeria on a monthly basis through the delivery mechanism of Mobile Money and E-vouchers. Supply Chain unit supports the Programme unit to implement the Supply Chain components of CBT, including modality selection, emergency response, retail engagement and contracting of retailers and FSPs.
- Presently, E-vouchers delivery mechanism accounts for over 70% of Supply Chain activities in Cash Based Transfer, and as the WFP gradually shifts to Mobile Money, increased Supply Chain support will be required using Mobile Money mechanism.
- With the recent transition of some key Supply Chain staff and the incoming of their new replacement in the Area Office, coupled with the planned CBT scale-up in the Northeast in the coming months, there is a clear need for a specialized Supply Chain Officer – CBT Procurement and Logistics to support the present and the upcoming operations/staff within the CO (incl. the AO and SO). Listed below are some of the key support that will be required from the proposed position.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide strategic leadership on Supply Chain market and risk assessment reports and recommendations for management decision as required for CBT intervention designs and/or expansion
- Map the Supply Chain of selected food commodities from production/point of entry to relevant retail markets with recommendations for management decision
- Develop and maintain an active/up-to-date database and/or shortlist of Retailers/Merchants and Financial Service Providers (FSPs)
- Participate actively and support the contracting of CBT vendors either through new contracts or the renewal of existing ones
- Coordinate CBT activities in Supply Chain and act as the Focal Person between the Area/Sub Offices and Country Office on Supply Chain related CBT operations
- Support and liaise with relevant functions units to provide technical guidance on Retailer and/or Financial Service Provider operations to ensure the efficient performance of their tasks in accordance with the terms of agreement
- Participate in the internal operational CBT working group meetings; and when required, represent Supply Chain in external coordination and/or interagency Cash-Based Initiatives platforms
- Coordinate with other relevant colleagues to provide vendor performance management for Supply Chain
- Participate in CBT-related functional group discussions to incorporate SC inputs in Programme design
- Conduct field visits to support CBT activities
- Supervise the work of, and provide guidance on creation of POCB’s and POS for Mobile money and Bank transactions while also ensuring that all retailers’ contracts, onboarding process, Financial Service Provider Contracts and supporting documents are attached to PO’s in wings.
- Ensure all POCB’s are created in line with available grants and ensuring prompt PO closure after SES and LIV
- Follow-up with relevant units (i.e. Programme and Finance) for timely commitment of funds and payment of CBT Retailers; and proposed solutions to ease payment bottlenecks (e.g. POCB releases/adjustments)
- Provide weekly operational reports and analytics to the Deputy Head of Supply Chain as part of CO Supply Chain report
- Serve as the Liaison between the CO and RB/HQ on CBT related information
- Coordinate and provide capacity building and refresher training for CBT staff on all CBT related aspects
- Perform any other function as may be required
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities:
- Capability Name – Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Supply Chain Strategy – Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain strategies. Conducts analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation. Operationalizes strategies in own area of responsibility.
- Supply Chain Planning – Leads supply chain planning within area of operations managed. Oversees and coordinates periodic planning across functions and with partners. Ensures consensus based plans are in place and aligned with strategy.
- Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening – Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain capacity strengthening in operational contexts. Implements capacity development initiatives in own area of responsibility.
- Supply Chain Performance & Development – Supports integrated supply chain information management and conducts advanced Supply Chain and performance analytics. Contributes to supply chain improvement and innovation initiatives.
- Supply Chain & Networks Management – Demonstrates robust understanding of end-to-end supply chain management. Supports the design and implementation of supply chain, retail and partnership networks. Supports the design and integrated delivery of supply chain services.
Deliverables at the end of the Contract:
- Updated and comprehensive CBT vendor shortlist are maintained
- Robust systems, procedures, and management practices for cash-based transfers (e-vouchers) are in place
- Standardized procedures for end-to-end digital Retailer contracting are used across all offices
- Strict adherence of the established RACI and Responsibility/Payment Matrix for SC staff
- Supply Chain inputs are incorporated in the CO CBT Operational Plan
- The capacity of relevant national staff is built to support CBT operations
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Advanced University Degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Experience: A minimum of three years of professional experience in Cash-Based Transfer, Procurement, Logistics/Supply Chain Management.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in the English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
Desired Experiences for entry into the Role:
- Experience conducting analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation;
- Experience coordinating supply chain activities with other units/ teams;
- Experience working with WFP partners;
- Experience in evaluating and selecting vendors;
- Experience in implementing supply chain improvement initiatives;
- Experience in working in insecure and difficult environments;
- Experience supervising staff.
- Experience in coordinating periodic planning across functions and with partners;
- Experience in analyzing and supporting the implementation of end-to-end supply chain operations;
- Experience in planing and coordinating Cash-Based Transfer related activities;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Terms And Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit the International Civil Service Commission’s website: http://icsc.un.org (link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/nigeria.htm).
- WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service
Application Deadline 26th November, 2020.