Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Assistant
Location: Gashua, Bade LGA – Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time
Scope of the Vacancy
- Under the supervision of Safety and Security Manager/Logistics Coordinator, and direct supervision of the safety and Security Officer, the Safety & Security Assistant will assist in building up the capacity, awareness and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular trainings or briefings to national and international staff and COOPI visitors within the area of responsibility.
- The SSA will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with Program and Operations support teams at the Field level. He/she will form a wide web of network to proactively collate and source for relevant security information.
- The SSA will assist Safety and Security Officer as well as the Safety and Security Team in conducting collaborative security risk assessments with all field-based staff in line with the standard COOPI security management structures.
- The SSA will support Safety and security manager/ Logistics Coordinator in enforcement and implementation of existing SOPs and other risk mitigation plans guided by the acceptance, protection and deterrence strategies.
- The SSA will act as a liaison link between COOPI and other external security functionaries within the areas of responsibility, represent COOPI in security forums as directed by supervisor to objectively ensure that the operations and program needs of COOPI are well addressed.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the safety and security officer, he/she will:
- Continuously monitoring of the environment in the operational areas for which he/she is responsible. As required, and at a minimum of once per quarter, support Safety and Security Unit and Head of Base to updating risk registers and security/safety SOPs.
- Ensure that the Base Office SOPs and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly, and staff constantly kept aware of their contents.
- Brief, supervise and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guards and drivers to ensure the guard force and fleet is aware of COOPI SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- Accompany program staff on field missions on a need basis in order to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by COOPI staff in the field
- Work closely with the Head of Base and Safety and security manager/ Logistics Coordinator, to ensure that the Security Focal Group (SFG) meeting are held and minutes submitted to SSO as required.
- During a critical incident, he/she will support the Head of Base and Safety and security manager/ Logistics Coordinator in critical incident management giving all the required support as outlined in the COOPI Security SOP.
- The SSA will be available 24/7 to respond to any staff concerns or incidents that might require urgent attention.
- Track and monitor COOPI staff movement within the areas of responsibility and report any movement breaches to SSO and Head of Base.
- Liaise with government, Army, Police, DSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that COOPI staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas
- Regularly coordinate with peer organization safety staff/focal points to get the current contextual information.
- Using standard trainings developed by the safety and security unit, SSU, conduct regular refresher training to COOPI staff on personal safety, fire prevention, defensive driving among others.
- Prepare weekly reports for the Base office and update data on available incident data tools.
- Submitting when required email immediate advisories to Damaturu Office when significant security incidents occur.
- Submit formal post-incident reports to the Head of Base, Safety and security manager/ Logistics Coordinator, Project Managers and Safety and Security Officer.
This ToR shall be inclusive of any other task specifically assigned by the direct supervisor for what concerns the implementation of the program activities.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- A Higher National Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Security Operations and Management / Criminology / Disaster Management / Public Administration / International relations / Business Administration / Education – Languages or a field related to humanitarian work. A bachelors’ degree in similar field will be added advantage.
- Training in First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Relevant security management certifications will be added advantage
- Competent report writing skills.
- Basic Mapping or GIS skills
- Disaster management and response training/ certification
- Mandatory Computer use skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet)
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local north east language is highly desired (Kanuri).
- Must have completed NYSC service or submit exception certificate
Skills & Experience
- At least 1-year security-related experience with UN/INGOs/CBOs operating in North-East Nigeria either in safety and security, logistics or administration. Relevant experience form any other institution will also be considered.
- Ability to comprehend security-related subjects such as threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces (Police, Army, NSCDC, etc) will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge or recommendation from immediate supervisor will be required as proof.
- Proven experience or ability to work effectively in complex security environments and situations with an articulate understanding of the conflict in northeast.
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Flexibility and ability to work long hours and to be deployed on short notice.
- Sound judgment/ open-minded and the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th October, 2020.